Finance and Operations Director
Company: The American Civil Liberties Union
Posted on: April 8, 2021
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Foundation of Alabama
seeks a Finance and Operations Director who must have solid
financial, communication, technology, analytical and management
skills. This role will be responsible for maintaining all
accounting, financial processes, internal controls, and reporting.
These functions will be performed in order to support the
Affiliate's goal of protecting the liberties that define our
democracy. The Finance & Operations Director ensures that the
organization has the structure and resources necessary to achieve
its vision. The Director will help operationalize the Affiliate's
culture by creating systems and controls that will ensure
efficiency and accuracy around the Affiliate's critical finance,
operations, and administrative needs. The Finance & Operations
Director also participates in setting organizational goals and
priorities, implementing a personnel management system, developing
and managing the Affiliate's budget. The Finance and Operations
Director reports to the Executive Director. Primary
Responsibilities: Finance & Compliance
- Draft, design and oversee creation of an annual budget and the
execution of a budget management plan to ensure all teams meet
budget goals, are apprised of their expenditures, and ensure
compliant fiscal stewardship of our organization and are driving
toward affiliate vision and priorities.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, establish
financial and operating benchmarks, department budgets, program
monitoring, and reporting standards on an ad-hoc, monthly, and
- Develop and implement efficient and thorough internal processes
for the collection of useful financial information and other
metrics, report regularly on cash flow, and create and maintain
mid-to-long term financial models for making management
- Supervise the work of other finance staff and contractors on
all accounting and reconciliation tasks, and the tracking of time
and expenses necessary for compliance with IRS requirements for
charitable and social welfare organizations.
- Maintain overall financial oversight for accounts payable,
payroll, and credit card systems.
- Oversee and ensure the accuracy of all accounts receivable and
accounts payable processes.
- Maintain internal control safeguards for the handling of
revenue, recording of expenses, banking, and payment
- Oversee the annual revenue reconciliation with the national
office. Lead the annual financial audit as the primary liaison with
third-party auditors and ensure compliance with the ACLU of Alabama
accounting procedures and policies manual.
- Provide financial reports for the Board of Directors, including
budget variance analysis and summaries of Affiliate investment and
- Set the vision and bar for excellence on all operations-related
processes and needs, ensuring that we have best-in- class office
space, technology, internal communications, strategic planning, and
administrative systems that touch and support staff members and
- Oversee development of risk management program designed to
identify potential threats to the ACLU
- of Alabama and develop strategies for minimizing those
- Supervise the maintenance of all contracts, insurance policies,
and professional registrations.
- Develop strong operations, logistics, systems, and compliance
on the day-to-day level, while also anticipating longer-term
- Support the Executive Director in establishing systems around
various personnel goals around equity, retention, and
- Partner with the Executive Director to create new and relevant
- Perform other duties as assigned. Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree required preferably in Accounting, Business,
or related field.
- Experience working in a non-profit, advocacy or political
- A commitment to diversity and an ability to work
collaboratively and successfully with people and organizations
regardless of their race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, ability,
and socio-economic circumstances.
- Interest in team culture building
- Advanced QuickBooks and Excel experience.
- A strong commitment to follow-through and meeting
- Should possess working knowledge of regulatory standards,
including generally accepted accounting principles, 501c3 and 501c4
rules and regulations, including use of the 501h election.
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to process and calculate
payroll including garnishments and benefits deductions.
- Good understanding of various employee benefit plans (i.e.,
FSA, HSA, & 401K) and their related effect on federal and state
payroll tax calculations is a plus. Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience and within the parameters of
the ACLU of Alabama: $70,000 - $80,000. Benefits include medical
and disability insurance, 401(k) and vacation, holiday, and sick
leave. Application Process:
Please submit a letter of interest, current resume, and salary
requirements via e-mail to:--firstname.lastname@example.org --with "Finance
and Operations Director" in the subject field. --
The ACLU of Alabama is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals
including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and
lesbian, gay, bisexual, non-binary and transgender
Keywords: The American Civil Liberties Union, Danbury , Finance and Operations Director, Executive , Montgomery, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!